Sunday, September 21, 2008

The new digs



Yesterday I worked at the new station (my old copter, but new station) It's at station 43, a half mile north of the Otay border crossing. It's a huge firestation, set up for three crews---but there's only one crew there, and it sits on Brown Field airport land. Good things---it's in controlled airspace, with no one to complain about noise. There's plenty of bedspace the department already owns. It's a nice station and the crews there, so far, seem to be glad we're there. Bad parts---we have to fly to Montgomery Field for daily inspection. Strategically, you can only respond North and East---South, you're in Mexico. West, you're in the Pacific ocean. The weather is an issue, as the coastal fog comes in to stay from evening until late morning pretty regularly. Also it's a really long commute to get there.
I set up the necessary equipment for the groundfill; if you want to take off and show up to the fire with water, you start with a groundfill. Also, at night, groundfill is your only option as drafting with the snorkel using NVG is a bad idea. I sure liked being back in a firestation though--no thick dust layer, great food, card games; you can take a hot shower, flush the toilet, and use the microwave without tripping a breaker. The Chief is a long way away too and sudden drop-ins are unlikely. Not that that's a problem, it's just more relaxed atmosphere.

6 comments:

The Anonymous Fire Buff said...

So, does this mean that you'll stay down at Brown with Copter 1 and Copter 2 will stay at Montgomery with the new crew from now on?

Tina said...

I was almost hoping you'd get called up to help with the Rattle fire here by us. We could have taken you around on your downtime :)

I guess it's good they didn't need you too tho, huh?

flyingvan said...

AFB---I was just there to take care of some infrastructure issues, and a 24 hour overtime shift. I'll be at Montgomery Field with C2 for awhile yet.
TK--- When I get to these big fires, there is NO time for anything. In then manager's spot you're last to bed and first up, trying to get a little sleep in between. Since I'm on the clock until I get back home, hanging around after would be taking advantage....Thanks for the invite though. Don't know when I'll be going out again

The Anonymous Fire Buff said...

Ah, thanks for the info.

Would you happen to know what the pay for a pilot on this job is? I've been seriously considering this career lately. I think it's a great way to do something for humanity, not to mention it combines my lifelong interests of aviation and fire/rescue.

flyingvan said...

Easily 6 figures. Getting to that level though takes ALOT. It's about the same expense as getting a degree from Harvard. There are a few ways to go about it---military, instructor, junior college for A and P....

The Anonymous Fire Buff said...

Thanks!