Monday, September 15, 2008

Jim's visit



My older brother, Jim, not only built me the ultimate bike, he even delivered it. I tried to plan the ultimate Saturday for him. He rested after his LOOONG drive, hung out with the family, cleaned up a bit, and off we went. We loaded up his bike along with my new one. Off we went for Montgomery Field where I had jumped through the hoops to approve a training flight with Jim as the victim. We dropped him off along with Scott (Scott took Jim's camera, Jim forwarded these pics) and we did the pickoff. I'm pretty sure Jim enjoyed it and the map of the earth flight that followed.
After, we rode into downtown---kind of a shakedown cruise. Dinner was at 'Mr. Tiki's Maitai lounge', an excellent sushi/pupus meal. On the way back to the car Jim took a photo of the skyline. Hour drive home then he slept at the cabin; haven't seen him since and the kids complained I bogarted Uncle Jim.

8 comments:

Tina said...

So now we need Jim to start blogging...

flyingvan said...

Babysteps.....He's left a comment or two. He's got all the elements---an interesting life, computer, and digital camera.

The Anonymous Fire Buff said...

Interesting life indeed. I've always wanted to build a bike, especially since I got into cycling a year or so back. Doing it for a living must be pretty cool.

Also, I've been wondering, in the helicopter rescue world, is helmet color any indication of rank/ position as it is with ground crews? I've noticed in your photos that some guys have white helmets, others blue...

flyingvan said...

Well, sorta. The white helmets are a lot cheaper, poorer avionics, and uncomfortable. The blue ones are expensive and custom fit, cut sound out better, and are more comfortable. Once you land a full time position you get a helmet upgrade. I got a hand-me-down helmet when I started, now the new guys have new helmets. Mine works just fine but is due for a tune up. I kind of like the battlescars from assorted rescues

The Anonymous Fire Buff said...

I see, thanks for the explanation.

Renaissance-Man said...

I would love to sit around and catch up with Jim. I realize he lives the life of a hermit these days, so I would like to anonymously walk into his bike shop one day and start talking bikes until he recognized me. If he didn’t, I would ask him where a good place to get a drink might be. It would probably be a good motorcycle ride up to his neighborhood as well. Of course, I have no idea where his shop is. He’s looking good in the picture.

Unknown said...

Well, I don't know about starting a blog. My life is pretty simple. My job is cool, but what would I blog about? Oh, and if you haven't seen this story, google "sausage and spice attack" It's hilarious

Unknown said...

Bummer Jim didn't stick around a while and just did the hit and run.

Oh well... next time.
Too much to do anyways.

Helmets- Now you have a chance to do a really wild thing on that blank canvas. Something airbrushed 3D/alien/bio/scifi or just maybe something in pink sharpie?

(uh-oh- here we go again)

Do you guys have cool nicknames for each other like those top gun pilots?