Friday, September 5, 2008

For helicopter geeks only

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************** Helicopters are cool machines. They are proof that if you put enough horsepower into anything, it'll fly. I've never flown in my favorite helicopter--- a Bell 214 ST. Maybe someday. It's the ultimate 'musclecar' of the copter world.....
Here's a list of helicopters I've flown on, smallest to biggest, with the common nickname if any. Bell 47 (like in M*A*S*H). Robinson R44 (little entry level copter). MD500 ('Angry Egg' like in Magnum PI). B-3 'A-Star'. 206 (Jet Ranger). 206L (Long Ranger). UH-1H (Huey). 205, (the old copter 2). 212 (Copter One). 412 (the new Copter 2). Aerospatiale Dauphine. CH-46. (Sea Knight) UH-60 (three versions---SeaHawk, FireHawk, BlackHawk) BV-107, and the CH-47 (Chinook).

10 comments:

Tina said...

As long as you've never flown in an OH-6 Cayuse. They are evil.

If you don't know what I'm talking about - see this movie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capricorn_One

Eagle1sgt said...

The OH-6 is the military version of the MD 500. I have flown in a Bell 47, Hughes 300, BK117, Hiller UH-12 UH-60 (US Customs), Military Huey, OH-58, Bell 206 Jet Ranger, and 206LIV Long Ranger. I have flown MD 500D, 500E, 520N, Bell 205++, EC120B, A-Star B2, A-Star B3, and EC 130B4 and R22. Well that's all I can think of anyway..... I need to come down and get a ride in your new 412.

flyingvan said...

CLimb in a 212 and sit on a running chainsaw during any transitional maneuver or hover. It is very fast to respond to input----the 212 you have to plan for a little drift but no tthe 412. Makes the hoistwork more precise

The Anonymous Fire Buff said...

Cool. The 214 IS awesome. I've seen one landing 50-60 feet away, but that's the closest I've ever been.

Unknown said...

Not quite the list that you have.
There was that one that we took to see the volcano in Hawaii-(but I have no idea what that was).

Then there was that time I was hiking in SD and needed to be airlifted out of a riverbed. That was fun.
looking up

And once flew around a night patrol with these guys in their Eurocopter EC120.
N121PD

I can't believe you guys get paid to do that every day.

B

Unknown said...

I wonder if something like a Flettner Fl-282, would be good for search missions.

It was aused by the Nazi's

The Anonymous Fire Buff said...

As for Prestoffcenter's comment - did you do that rescue, Steve?

Aside from that, my copter list is pretty simple: a Bell 407.

flyingvan said...

Uh, yeah. That's my chin in the picture, but isn't it suspicious that the 'victim' was holding a camera , we were in each other's wedding parties, and I knew him before I had a driver's license?

The Anonymous Fire Buff said...

LOL. Suspicious indeed...

ronnwaters said...

Cool.