Tuesday, February 24, 2009

You're welcome!

Had my tax appointment before work today. Perry held over so I could go. Between California and Federal taxes, I paid enough this year to pay cash for the Subaru Impreza as pictured. When I think of how much of my money goes to 'programs' I'm fundamentally opposed to, to say it's frustrating is an understatement. Here's where I do, and don't, want my money to go:

Do's
1) Education. That means people teaching people. Not feeding them, counselling them, handing them condoms, or raising them before or after school. I'm OK for some going to the sports/music programs too.

2) Defense. Keeping us safe both externally by fighting bad people in their own country, and locally.

3) Infrastructure that directly supports commerce. Roads, utilities, and so on.

Don'ts
1) Personal health insurance. If you want to have a public hospital for un/under insured, with good medicine and bare bones everything else, I'm OK with that. The idea that health insurance is a right is....wrong.

2) Bailouts. Whether it's someone who bought a house they couldn't afford, or a company that hired CEO's it couldn't afford, or unions that killed their industry---let them go. You're throwing money down a hole. Let the market figure it out.

3) Tax returns for people who didn't pay taxes. This is insane. You are using MY money to promote non-production. At some pint I'll do better to quit working and live off the public, too.

If you see the world through the eyes of 'sustainability', do you really think the Obamanomics are sustainable? Why would anybody start a business? He said he doesn't want to hear the tired old arguements---that's probably why he stacked his press core and calls on the ones coached with questions (Where's HIS Helen Thomas??) Thing is, those 'old arguements' have proven true over and over again.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for being an achiever and supporting our awesome capitalistic system.

keeka said...

hear hear and ditto! Like I really want to pay for overseas abortions and other things I don't beleive in? Nuts to that!

flyingvan said...

For the record, that figure didn't count the $7,500 we paid for property tax. Nor did it include sales tax, gas tax, or the taxes attached to various utilities. What softens this a bit is the realization that my income is tax funded....

Anonymous said...

Hey, it came to me after my last response: I have the solution for your tax woes. Retire from your current work and become a teacher. Being married and doing just that with three children (too), you'll be surprised how little income you have to pay taxes on! It's one of the bennies of being a teacher...

princess slea said...

i concur. now why wasn't this on FB? are you tired of the "stimulating"
debates with chimp?