Had my tax appointment before work today. Perry held over so I could go. Between California and Federal taxes, I paid enough this year to pay cash for the Subaru Impreza as pictured. When I think of how much of my money goes to 'programs' I'm fundamentally opposed to, to say it's frustrating is an understatement. Here's where I do, and don't, want my money to go:
1) Education. That means people teaching people. Not feeding them, counselling them, handing them condoms, or raising them before or after school. I'm OK for some going to the sports/music programs too.
2) Defense. Keeping us safe both externally by fighting bad people in their own country, and locally.
3) Infrastructure that directly supports commerce. Roads, utilities, and so on.
1) Personal health insurance. If you want to have a public hospital for un/under insured, with good medicine and bare bones everything else, I'm OK with that. The idea that health insurance is a right is....wrong.
2) Bailouts. Whether it's someone who bought a house they couldn't afford, or a company that hired CEO's it couldn't afford, or unions that killed their industry---let them go. You're throwing money down a hole. Let the market figure it out.
3) Tax returns for people who didn't pay taxes. This is insane. You are using MY money to promote non-production. At some pint I'll do better to quit working and live off the public, too.
If you see the world through the eyes of 'sustainability', do you really think the Obamanomics are sustainable? Why would anybody start a business? He said he doesn't want to hear the tired old arguements---that's probably why he stacked his press core and calls on the ones coached with questions (Where's HIS Helen Thomas??) Thing is, those 'old arguements' have proven true over and over again.