Sunday, August 31, 2008

Flutes



************************************************************************** Somehow I got on this kick about how different instruments can have the same notes but a totally different 'voice'. You figure that a flute is about the simplest instrument (other than maybe percussion ones) and you can easily vary different things to change the sounds.
These PVC flutes are fun. They cost less than a dollar to make and have a very rich tone. You can get two octaves out of them and even half-notes.
The whole point though was to learn about the different 'voice' options. By altering the endcap inside shape, you get a totally different mood. A cap made convex with so epoxy putty takes on a happy tone; the more concave, the more haunting or sardonic.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Shame Tina is in her sunset with Girl Scouts. I could see how this would be a fun project.

Tina said...

Ah, but Robert & Celeste are still going...

Anonymous said...

I hope this is one of Lauren's home school projects. Fantastic project!

Renee' B. said...

flutes arent THAT easy to play thank you!! or maybe it was just me but i agree flutes really are a very interesting sound.

princess slea said...

we love pvc! i am totally going to make some flutes.
this summer we made a "mister." we connected pipes together into a standing arch, drilled holes, attached a garden hose and it's a sprinkler that the kids can ride their bikes through. we can't find the small plastic mister jets anywhere to make it a true mister though.
thanks for the project.

- Rob said...

I'm in the process of becoming a fully trained Girl Scout leader now! I have some of the training, but have not completed everything. I can now sign up to be an O2. Once I learn what that means, then I think I will be fully trained.

We have used a fair amount of PVC over time, but not to make a flute. Fun idea!

flyingvan said...

http://www.markshep.com/flute/Pipe.html is the site I started with. Each flute costs less than a dollar to make. I've got a few helpful tips if anyone wants to actually build one. WARNING----- when you pick one up to play, it's hard to put down. This may annoy those around you. It even annoyed Annamarie, the first time I've found a way to do that since I grew facial hair.

Tina said...

Don't annoy the AM!!!

Sheesh - I'd have thought you'd learned by now!

Unknown said...

I think it would be fun to build one of the various instruments from Blue Man Group.

A bit harder to carry around than a flute tho...

Probably equally annoying to AM too.
I guess that's what the other cabin is for.

B