AnnaMarie's cottage has to be completed by November 20th or the permit expires. I made trades at work to have a bunch of days off in a row---only to get called back to work for a bit. Two things left to finish for the final---the concrete bridge to the front porch and all the cleanup of the site. No problem!
Except----AnnaMarie said to get all the little finish stuff inside done first. Base moulding, door handles, little trim pieces, etc. Biggest was the bedroom floor. I think she knew once I had the final inspection in hand work would slow WAAAAYY down. Smart.
Choosing the bedroom floor was a struggle. The rest of the house has that 40+ year old solid oak we found for next to nothing on Craigslist, so to drop Ikea Tundra floor in the bedroom would have looked cheap. We had two trips down the hill to look at different floors. The ones she liked were dark gray with some brown, and were about $7 a square foot, and she didn't really love them, they were just O.K.
The bedroom isn't a main thoroughfare so walking traffic is light. I thought we might get away with using a softwood so I bought three different widths of white spruce and let it acclimate for a week. First it got cut to size then biscuit joined to the next board---this will prevent cupping over time.