Thursday, July 15, 2010

Getting The Forms Finished





________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The method I came up with for the foundation on the first cabin project worked so well, I'm using it again. I've since seen 'Fabric formed foundations' as a 'green' building method, since it uses far less lumber. 'Green' is good, especially when it coincides with 'cheap'. What I'm doing is suspending 2x material over the trenches, halfway lining it with geotextile 'Morafi', then getting all the rebar in place. After the inside half of the forms are completed, pulling the Morafi up and over, rolling the edge in a 1x2, and screwing it to the form. The yokes that hold up the forms also hold up the rebar. An anchor bolt will sit in a hole drilled in each yoke too, to later anchor the building to the foundation.
When I built the cabin, we pumped in the concrete and the forms perpendicular to the slope started to bow out a bit. This time the yokes have sheer strength and are pinned to the ground with foot long sections of rebar. It's rock solid.
One of the required BMP's (Best Management Practices) is a concrete washout for catching all the rinse water at the end of the concrete pouring day. I saved the ring pool we'd replaced this year just for this purpose...You could say I'm building 'green' since I'm recycling the old pool. You could also say I'm building 'cheap' by not paying for a ready made basin.

1 comment:

Tina said...

I like green when it's cheap. I love to recycle and reuse as much as possible. I try to avoid waste of any kind. I'm gonna put that as a result of the guilt-tripping my mom did :)