Sunday, March 3, 2013

Potager

AnnaMarie said she needs a potager at her cottage.  So I said   "Sure.  I'll build one".   First step was to look up the word 'Potager'.

potager - definition of potager by the Free Online Dictionary ...

www.thefreedictionary.com/potagerCached - Similar
(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Horticulture) a small kitchen garden. [from French potagère vegetable garden].
   OK I even know where to put it.  The retaining wall next to the steps needs finishing anyway.

  My 90 year old neighbor came over and told me to level out the soil at the bottom (it followed the natural slope) so when she waters it stays in better.  Then I added 3 cu ft steer manure and 3 cu ft mulch.  I wanted to dig out the rich soil under the bridge anyway so that filed in the rest, and I kept mixing it in as I added.  Amended soil goes all the wal down to the level of the walkway.


The bridge didn't look very bridge-like because the soil was pretty high underneath.  After digging it down and shaping things, a layer of gravel added contrast.  I ran out of daylight but the gravel 'stream' will continue downhill all along the dripline of the porch
           

No comments: