Friday, November 12, 2010

Kentucky

The Burnett House.  Right in the middle of where 'The Battle Of Richmond' was fought.  Slave quarters to the left.

The draw where the Confederate Army hid from the Union troops then took them by surprise.  A huge loss for the Union army.

What was really interesting was the cemetary---the slaves and masters were all buried together.  The slave's headstones were just as ornate, and many of them had kind words like 'servant and friend'. 

I got a call asking for help evaluating a software product for DHS that's meant for fire departments to use.  They roped me in by saying I was 'uniquely suited' for the eval, which I think meant willing to spend a week in the middle of nowhere.  It was a real struggle to do a good job with some very boring data entry.  The countryside was beautiful but all the meetings were indoors. 
Tried not to think about all the work I could be getting done framing.  This was my small way to answer a call to public service for my nation.   Very, very small indeed. 
As I travelled back to Lexington for the trip home (Veteran's Day) I stopped at the site of The Battle Of Richmond.  Thousands of soldiers---Confederates trying to protect their way of life and financial interests largely dependent on slave labor, from Union forces trying to keep a young nation together and end slavery---both sides certain they were right and willing to die far, far from home.  Right here in this field. 
It was very queit and I was glad to be alone here.  Really made my 5 days away, where the biggest threat was boredom, seem petty.  If they survived the battle they had weeks, even months, of travel home.  All I had to do was find someplace for lunch here in the deep south, then a mere 7 hours later sleep in my own bed.

No comments: