Friday, May 28, 2010

Cultural Fix


_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pageant of the Masters is a community event City of Laguna Beach has done for the better part of the last century. It's very difficult to describe but well worth attending every 10 years or so.
AnnaMarie can't wait; I think Shoo's wife Pam is pretty excited too. Shoo's resigned himself but I think he'll be glad he went. Byron and Paula will love it as will Mike F. I don't know Mike's date so there's a wild card involved.
I'm really looking forward to it. It will be my third time; Once in high school, once when AnnaMarie and I were dating.
There's a real 'Wow' factor. So here's what they do--- they take famous works of art and replicate them lifesize, but use real people in the paintings or sculpture. The way the light it you'd swear it's a flat painting. Every now and then someone wiggles a little though. The curtains close, they quickly change to another one. There's narration, music, and a theme--this year's is "Eat, Drink and be Merry". We will follow that theme before and after the Pageant with dinner out and a Hotel stay (Laguna Beach is a few hour drive from Cuyamaca)

4 comments:

Tina said...

Way cool. Have a blast!

flyingvan said...

Keeka---AnnaMarie and I couldn't remember if we had you in the loop on this or not. She thought I had told you, I thought she had---if we failed to notify you and you want to go, let us know. (Blame me not her) There's probably still tickets for July 22, maybe even where we're sitting

keeka said...

I think we will pass this year, Carl just looked at me...like, "really?" It is going to be right after we get back from our long vacation so I think we will both be a little pooped out.
But thanks for asking! I have always wanted to see it, but both Carl and I are not really crowd people and I know from when we went by many years ago that it is usually pretty crowded!

Tina said...

I would be so bad at that. I had to be an angel once and stand for what felt like forever over a baby Jesus with my arms raised over my head. They kept drifting down...