Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lauren's Thrifty Birthday

It's Lauren's 13th birthday. This idea was such a hit with McKenna's friends years ago we decided to try again with Lauren's crowd. Right after school, loaded them in the car and did the hour drive to the thrift store.
Each girl is given a $7 budget and has to put together the best outfit they can for the money. Lots of trading around, adding up, moving surplus funds from one girl to another.....


Pizza and salad in the car during the trip home then a fashion show for the rest of us. After that, the festivities moved over to the cabin for build-your-own sundaes and girl talk. AnnaMarie chaperoned over there; McKenna, Patrick and I stayed home and watched "Wall-E". Judging by the sleepy eyes the next day, I think the girl talk lasted into the wee hours....







Both our daughters have an exceptional group of friends. Entertaining 5 girls for an overnighter for under $60, complete with a road trip and new oufits is pretty cool.



2 comments:

Tina said...

Very very cool.

I take advantage of our Goodwill & Salvation Army especially around this time of year. I usually sew most of the Halloween costumes, but I will supplement them with items from thrift stores when possible.

I used to go more often when Connor would chew the collar on his shirts. Before we were able to break him of that behavior, it just wasn't worth the cost of brand-new clothes, even WalMart prices.

Trevor likes super-soft t-shirts, and I will sometimes go via Goodwill rather than wash a new item 10 times to soften it enough for him :)

We also got Trevor's shoes for the summer production at Goodwill. Diana has found really nice loafers & boots that are out of her price range if bought at the mall :) I figure if you've ever roller skated or bowled & used the rentals, you're no worse off...

Frugal is good!

keeka said...

I love our Goodwill, but I have to know exactly what I am looking for or it would take me an entire day to look! I got all of our jeans for our "ripped up" rocker look! T-shirts too! Cole actually liked his shirt so much he didn't want to rip it so he could wear it again! My very very favorite pair of lace up walking boots (ankle high) I bought for $4.99 at a Goodwill about 15 years ago! I have had them heeled and I polish them every once in a while, but they still are my most comfy shoes!